The NLP of Resilience: Recovering Faster from Setbacks
"Resilience is not about avoiding disruption. It is about retaining the flexibility to reorganise, learn and move forward."
Life rarely unfolds exactly according to plan.
Projects fail. Relationships change. Careers take unexpected turns. We make mistakes, receive criticism, experience rejection, and sometimes discover that something we have invested considerable time and energy in simply hasn't worked.
The important question is not whether setbacks will happen.
They will.
The more useful question is: what happens next?
Why can one person experience a setback, learn from it and move forward, while another remains caught in the experience long afterwards?
In Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), resilience can be understood not simply as an ability to "stay strong", but as flexibility: the capacity to change our thinking, emotional state and behaviour when our existing response is no longer useful.
Resilience is therefore less about resisting change and more about adapting to it.
Resilience Doesn't Mean Being Unaffected
We sometimes talk about resilient people as though difficult experiences simply bounce off them.
That isn't resilience.
Disappointment can hurt. Loss can be painful. Failure can temporarily undermine confidence.
A resilient person still experiences these things.
The difference is that they don't necessarily make the experience permanent.
There is an important distinction between:
"This didn't work."
and:
"I am a failure."
One describes an outcome.
The other turns an outcome into an identity.
That distinction lies at the heart of resilience.
Events and Meaning Are Not the Same Thing
One of the central ideas within NLP is that human beings do not respond simply to events. We respond to the meaning we give those events.
Imagine two people being unsuccessful at a job interview.
One thinks:
"I knew I wasn't good enough."
The other thinks:
"That's disappointing. I wonder what I can learn before the next one?"
The event is essentially the same.
The internal representation is very different.
And therefore the emotional and behavioural consequences are likely to be different too.
The first interpretation encourages withdrawal.
The second encourages curiosity.
This doesn't mean pretending that everything is positive. It means recognising that an event and our interpretation of that event are not necessarily the same thing.
And interpretations can change.
The Map Is Not the Territory
One of NLP's best-known presuppositions is:
The map is not the territory.
Our internal experience is a representation of reality rather than reality itself.
We inevitably delete, distort and generalise information as we make sense of our experiences.
After something goes wrong, for example, we might think:
"Nothing ever works out for me."
But is that literally true?
Probably not.
The statement is a generalisation created from a particular emotional state.
Recognising this gives us somewhere to intervene.
Instead of asking:
"Why does everything always go wrong?"
we might ask:
"What specifically went wrong this time?"
That is a much better question.
And the quality of the answers we find is often influenced by the quality of the questions we ask.
Exercise 1: Separate the Event from the Story
Think about a recent setback.
Take a piece of paper and create two headings:
What happened
and:
What I told myself it meant
Under the first heading, write only observable facts.
For example:
"I applied for the position and wasn't offered the job."
Under the second heading you might discover thoughts such as:
"I'm not progressing."
"I'm not good enough."
"Nobody values my experience."
Now look at the two columns.
Which statements describe the event and which describe your interpretation?
Then ask:
What else could this mean?
Perhaps:
"Another candidate was a better fit on this occasion."
"There may be something useful I can learn from the interview."
"This wasn't the right opportunity."
You don't need to replace disappointment with artificial positivity.
Simply create more than one possible map.
Flexibility begins when there is more than one interpretation available.
Feedback Rather Than Failure
Another useful NLP presupposition is:
There is no failure, only feedback.
This statement is sometimes misunderstood.
It does not mean that nothing ever fails.
Businesses fail. Plans fail. Strategies fail. People make mistakes.
The useful distinction is what we do with the information.
Failure treated as a final judgement closes the loop.
Feedback opens another one.
Instead of:
"I failed."
we can ask:
"What did this experience teach me?"
This shifts attention from judgement towards information.
The change may appear small, but psychologically it is significant.
Exercise 2: Turn Failure into Feedback
Choose something that didn't work as you hoped.
Ask yourself four questions:
- What was I trying to achieve?
- What actually happened?
- What did I learn?
- What will I do differently next time?
Notice what happens.
You have moved from:
failure → judgement
towards:
experience → feedback → adjustment
That is resilience in action.
State Comes Before Strategy
When people experience a setback, they often immediately try to solve the problem.
But problem-solving from a distressed emotional state is not always effective.
As explored in our previous article on state management, our emotional and physiological state influences how we think.
When highly stressed, our attention can narrow. We may become more reactive and find it harder to see alternatives.
Sometimes the most useful first step is therefore not:
"How do I fix this?"
but:
"What state would help me think about this more effectively?"
Calm?
Curiosity?
Determination?
Patience?
Perspective?
Changing state doesn't remove the problem.
It changes the resources available for dealing with it.
Exercise 3: Access a Resilient State
Think of a time when you overcame something difficult.
It doesn't have to be dramatic.
Perhaps you solved a difficult problem, recovered from disappointment, completed something challenging or simply kept going when giving up would have been easier.
Allow yourself to remember that experience.
What could you see?
What could you hear?
How were you standing or sitting?
How were you breathing?
What were you saying to yourself?
Most importantly:
What did it feel like to know you could handle it?
Spend a few moments reconnecting with that state.
Then, while maintaining some of that feeling, think briefly about your current challenge.
Ask:
"What do I notice now that I didn't notice before?"
The problem may not have changed.
Your relationship with it may have.
Resilience Requires Behavioural Flexibility
Another important NLP principle is associated with the Law of Requisite Variety:
Within a system, the element with the greatest behavioural flexibility often has the greatest influence.
In everyday terms:
If what you're doing isn't working, having more ways to respond gives you more possibilities.
Yet under pressure, people often do the opposite.
They repeat the same strategy—only harder.
They explain more loudly.
Work longer.
Try to exert more control.
Think about the problem repeatedly.
But persistence and resilience are not identical.
Persistence says:
"Keep going."
Resilience asks:
"Do I need to keep going in the same way?"
Sometimes resilience means persistence.
Sometimes it means adaptation.
And occasionally it means recognising that a goal, strategy or direction needs to change completely.
Exercise 4: Create Three More Choices
Think about a problem where you currently feel stuck.
Write down what you are doing about it now.
Then challenge yourself to generate three completely different responses.
They don't all have to be good ideas.
The purpose is to increase flexibility.
Ask:
"What haven't I tried?"
"What would someone completely different from me do?"
"What would I suggest if a friend brought this problem to me?"
"What would I do if my current strategy simply wasn't available?"
The moment you have several possible responses rather than one automatic reaction, the system has become more flexible.
Be Curious, Not Judgemental
Perhaps one of the most useful attitudes for resilience is curiosity.
When something goes wrong, our instinct is often judgement:
"Why did I do that?"
"What's wrong with me?"
"How could I have been so stupid?"
These questions rarely produce useful information.
Curiosity asks something different:
"That's interesting. What happened there?"
"What was I responding to?"
"What did I miss?"
"What can I learn?"
Judgement tends to close down exploration.
Curiosity opens it.
And resilience depends upon our ability to keep learning.
Resilience Is Not Returning to Where You Were
We often describe resilience as "bouncing back".
But perhaps that metaphor is too limited.
After an important experience, we don't necessarily return to exactly who we were before.
We learn.
We adapt.
We reorganise.
We develop new resources.
Sometimes the person who emerges from a setback is not the person who entered it.
They may have greater perspective, more choices and a better understanding of themselves.
Perhaps resilience is therefore not about bouncing back at all.
It is about moving forward differently.
A Different Question
The next time something doesn't go according to plan, notice your first reaction.
Then experiment with changing the question.
Instead of:
"Why did this happen to me?"
try:
"What can I learn from this?"
Instead of:
"What went wrong?"
add:
"What needs to happen differently next time?"
Instead of:
"Why can't I cope with this?"
ask:
"What resources would help me respond more effectively?"
And instead of asking:
"How do I get back to where I was?"
perhaps ask:
"Given what I know now, where do I want to go next?"
Resilience is not the absence of difficulty.
Nor is it simply toughness, positivity or persistence.
It is the ability to remain sufficiently flexible to learn, reorganise and continue.
We cannot always choose what happens.
But we can continue developing more choices about what happens next.
Do you want to discuss and gain more support?
drop me a message mark.peters@balancedapproach.co.uk
Mark
Comments
Post a Comment